Thursday, July 11, 2013

Maybe I'm just supposed to be fat?

     Maybe I'm just supposed to be fat? That is what was running through my mind over a year ago after my last failed diet. I had tried just about every diet out there. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, South Beach, Fat Smash, Slim-fast, Special-K, and even one where you just drank juice. For me I never felt good or ever saw progress (personally) with any of these diets. Sure I would have a friend or two where it worked for them, but for the money I was spending it was just a gut wrenching feeling to get on that scale after a month's worth of work and see a big fat zero. Two of those diets I actually gained 5 pounds resulting in a 10 pound gain instead of a much needed loss! Yes, that is the epitome of frustration.

     Any one who has known me since childhood knows that I have always been overweight compared to others in my age group. The biggest I ever got was 420 pounds following college. At this point (in my mind) the options for me to lose weight were scarce. I was looking into getting gastric surgery, man oh man I did not want surgery! Some of the physical challenges I was having started pushing me to that option though. I started getting a pain in my hip that shot down my leg to my foot. This was a constant pain that wouldn't go away. I had also slipped and tweaked my back, I was ok at first but later that day I went to stand and my legs just gave out and I fell to the floor. I remember some one had come to the house to pick up my daughter for the day to watch her and I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get to the door and she then had to help me into a chair. That's right all 420 pounds of me. It was rather humiliating. Later that year my wife got me a chair for my home office. I didn't even have the chair for 2 days and I broke it. My weight was just too much for it. What was I going to do? I could not go on living like this! My daughters need to have their daddy around and I was determined to do what ever it takes. Then I got a call that planted a seed.

     My sister Cindy called me informing me that my mom was in the hospital and things were not looking good. At the time all I knew was that my mom had a stroke and that her lungs were filling up with fluid. After a few days I was able to talk to my mom and found out that her kidneys were also failing. Her Doctor had made it very clear that she needed to do something about her weight and because of her condition along with her diabetes surgery was not an option for her. If she did not do something to get her weight down she would not be here. Woah. That is some heavy stuff, but that seed got a plant growing. He talked to my mom about a program with Take Shape For Life that uses Medifast meals to help people lose weight. Like any diet there is no guarantee and results vary person to person, but my mom gave it a shot. I took note and watched her progress. Before I stepped into the ring I wanted to see if it really worked.

     To my surprise it was working for my mom. 33 years of my life I watched my mom try every diet under the sun and finally one is working! Later that summer local morning radio personality Mike Alley announced that he to was going to give Medifast a try. That was it, that was the push I needed to call my mom's Health Coach and say, "Sign me up!" My mind set was right and I told my new Health Coach that I was ready to rock this joint! So here I am today. So far I have lost 105 pounds with the Take Shape For Life program and I just have 65 pounds to go till I reach my goal. Did I mention that they have asked me to join their team of Health Coaches? If you have found yourself asking the same question I asked, "Maybe I'm just supposed to be fat?" Then now is the time to do something about it! The link I have provided below has a contact form. If you fill it out with your contact information and hit submit I will personally call you and tell you how excited I am for this program and that you are not alone in this journey! I will be there every step of the way helping you on your path to Optimal Health!

http://myroadtoweightloss.tsfl.com/explore

Here is a current before and after picture of me with my girls! On the left I am currently at 255lbs. On the right is me at over 360lbs.

All the best,

     Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment