Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Things That Make You Move!

     Finding a diet plan that is right for you is just one of the important steps towards losing weight. Find a plan and stick to the plan. The next step is finding things you enjoy doing that get you up off of that couch and moving. This is where motivation is key. I am from the video game generation and even though I am well into my 30's I still very much enjoy playing video games. For a long time I was really into World of Warcraft. I still play time to time but not like I used to. I just don't have the time for it any more and that is a good thing! Something I have found that I find very cool is Nike+. Now I do realize there is a lot out there but typing in endless amounts of data day in and day out is not fun to me. I have tried a few other free online programs for walking / running and Nike+ is the tool that fits me and is fun for me. I use it with my iPod Nano, and it has several different options.

     To use the Nike+ app for iPod or the iPhone you do not have to use the special Nike+ Sneakers. Those are just an added bonus for measuring your pace & distance. I have the sensor plugged into my iPod and the shoe pod in my Nike+ sneakers. Since buying these sneakers I have already logged over 110 miles! All I do is select the type of run or walk I am doing and press start. Once I am done I just sync with iTunes and my workout data is sent to the Nike+ website. I am able to do this from either work or home and that alone is extremely handy! As you can see I have found my motivation tool. But walking is not the only thing I am doing.

     Some people have gone out and found them self a personal trainer and a gym. I think at some point I too will go out and look into a gym membership, but for me I am having a good time with working out with a Bob Harper Biggest Loser Boot Camp video I have mentioned in a previous blog post. I think once I find that video easy I will have to make the choice between 2 local gym's. Brick Bodies and Planet Fitness. My only reservation about Planet Fitness is the "Lunk Alarm" if you grunt or grown while working out they sound the alarm which can be rather embarrassing. Where Brick Bodies is a locally owned and well respected establishment but I believe their prices are much higher than Planet Fitness. Both are close to my house and one of the problems I am having with my workouts are not the tasks but my 2 little girls who want to do what daddy is doing. Now I don't mind that they want to do what daddy is doing but I also don't want to squish them! Our oldest turned 4 in October and she likes to stand close to me which is a problem when I need to start jumping side to side. Our youngest who just turned 1 in November does not understand what daddy is doing but it looks like fun so she stands under foot and just wants up! This becomes a problem when I need to switch to push-ups.

Find what motivates you to get moving, and stick to the plan!

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment